Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Faith of a Family

Faith.  Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.  Faith, Love & Hope, The Stephens Family.  This family is very dear to my heart.  I met Donna 22 years ago when we first moved to Texas.  She worked out at the facility where I was employed.  Her daughter and Tyler were the same age.  They went to elementary school together, junior high, and high school.  We lived just a few blocks from each other.  We really became closer when we both worked at our Church's school program. 


The perfect family.  Beautiful, kind, giving, and obviously in love!  Bill, Donna's husband, became very ill about 16 years ago, throat cancer.  He wasn't suppose to live.  HE DID!  He beat all odds.  The faith of their family was too strong.  Donna has endured many battles with her health over the years, RA and Lupus, among other things.  2008 Bill was diagnosed with a serious lung infection and almost died, again.  HE DIDN'T.  Shortly after, he was diagnosed with cancer again, lung cancer.  HE BEAT IT AGAIN!  The Faith of their family was too strong.  He now lives in daily pain.  He can't work, has a hard time breathing, will never be able to eat/drink again, gets nourishment from a feeding tube.  Donna was recently diagnosed with Melanoma and had surgery.  We're waiting for pathology results on lymph nodes.  Donna's RA and Lupus has caused her not to be able to do many things she once was able to do.  Her fingers are stiff and won't bend, but she never complains.  How can this beautiful family have endured so much pain and suffering?  The Faith of their family is the only answer I have.  Their beautiful daughter, Hailey, who was a gift from God, keeps them going! 


I help them as much as I can with whatever they need.  They're always thanking me.  But they don't realize that they are a blessing to me.  They keep me going.  If they can fight for their lives over and over and still have faith, my problems often seem trivial.  When I'm not feeling well, I think of their daily struggle.  When I'm in a bad mood, I think of their positive outlook.  When I'm over whelmed, I think of their patience and their endurance.  I may do things for them, but they truly do more for my heart & soul.  God commands that we help others in need.  He truly has blessed me with having this family in my life, a true family of faith.

I love you Bill, Donna & Hailey!

No comments:

Post a Comment