Monday, July 8, 2013

Sweet Childhood Memories

It's funny, the older we get, the more we think about things from our past.  I have many childhood memories that I think about often.


Playing in the "hole".  The "hole" was exactly that, a hole made by a breach in the bank of the pond at my Grandparent's home.  We would play for hours, days on end, in the "hole".  On the rare occasion we had enough rain, the hole would fill up with water, clear water, unlike the pond, and we would wade in it, make mudpies, and I'm sure things I don't remember.

Rolling out dough for chicken and dumplings with my Grandmother.  She would let me eat the raw dough!

Picking blackberries!  We would spend hours in the woods picking blackberries.  They were so yummy, but the inevitable "red bugs" afterwards was not so much fun.

Family lunch at my Grandparents home.  Their house was tiny, but some how, we all managed to find a spot and enjoy family time. 

Dinner on the ground after church.  Oh, my, the good home country cooking!

Making ice cream with an old fashioned ice cream maker, the kind you cranked by hand.  When the electric ones came out, we thought we were high class!

Making fudge with my Mom at Christmas time.

Rolling down the hill in an old tractor tire and the home made slip 'n slides!

Sitting on the porch either making butter or shelling beans!  I'm sure when I was a child I hated it, but now looking back, those were precious times.

The all day shopping excursions with my Mom and my aunts.

Playing on the roots and limbs of the old Oak Trees!



These were just a few of my favorite memories.  I often wonder what my boys will one day say are their favorite memories!

"Childhood isn't given a thought, that is until adulthood!"


No comments:

Post a Comment